Sunday, July 4, 2010

New York City! - Part 1

Sunday - 6.27.10

This time a week ago, I was on a direct flight to New York City (rather I was when I started writing this post at 9 am on Sunday).  It was the first time I've traveled by plane since my honeymoon in March 2008.  It was also the first time I was away from Mungee for more than a few hours.

My best friend is a category manager for a major grocery store chain, and therefore attends several food-related trade shows a year.  She's invited me to go along on this trip previously, however, there's always been something preventing me from going.  Last year I was 34 weeks pregnant.  The year before that, I think the trip fell during DH's birthday weekend.  A few months back she emailed me and said, "You're going with me this year.  Mungee will be almost 11 months old, so you'll probably have her weaned by then, or her Pa can give her some formula".  I nervously excitedly booked a ticket.

We arrived at the airport and immediately made our way to the taxi line.  Neither of us checked luggage so we avoided the baggage claim area altogether (definitely a smart move).  We got to the hotel and our room wasn't ready yet, so I changed outfits in the bathroom (I'm resourceful like that).  We made our way to a kosher restaurant (oh, did I mention that my best friend keeps strict kosher, so NYC is like a smorgasbord for her - we have ZERO kosher restaurants where we live).  Aforementioned kosher restaurant was not where it was supposed to be and we didn't have the map of other nearby kosher restaurants with us, so we wound up a little behind schedule and had less time available to spend way too much money in browse around F.A.O. Schwartz.  That was probably a good thing.


We had to leave the toy store to make our way to see these guys:

Have you seen them?  It was a great show, but the theater was small - as in, your knees were in the neck of the person in front of you. I'd recommend seeing it in a bigger venue.

After the show ended, we cabbed it (I'm SO New York) back to the hotel and changed for dinner with my friend's colleague's vendor.  We ate at Solo, which is located in the atrium of the Sony Building.  Solo is a swanky, upscale kosher restaurant.  It was absolutely delicious.  As I usually do, when other people are paying I ate way too much.  Normally I take a picture of my meals at fancy restaurants but I didn't want to seem like a dork unprofessional since this was a business dinner.

After dinner we walked around Times Square and visited Hershey's, the m&m's store and Toys 'R Us.  Did you know there is a full-size Ferris Wheel there?

Here we are in Times Square.  
(One of the rare occasions I wear my hair down)


P.S.  I am actually taller than my friend in real life.  Yes, it was necessary to mention that.



By this time, it was after 11 pm.  We headed back to our hotel, where we met up with my friend's colleague and a couple of the people we had dined with earlier.  They were having a drink and shooting the breeze, but we were too tired to hang for very long.  We went up to the room to turn in for the night.

New York City! - Part Two - Coming Soon
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails